We're seeking your help to learn how we can best inform and inspire visitors and locals about our tourism experiences.
This project was identified in the Albury Wodonga Destination Management Plan 2019-2023 to ‘Align Visitor Servicing with Contemporary Trends’.
The nature of visitor services is changing, driven by the rapid adoption of digital technology and the growing prominence of social media; this has resulted in the changing expectations and requirements of our community and visitors. We know that 1.8 per cent of visitors to Albury Wodonga visit the Albury Visitor Information Centre, a key objective of this review is to determine how the region is servicing and engaging with the other 98.2% of visitors who are visiting each year, but not utilising the Albury Visitor Information Centre.
The aim of this survey is to gain a better understanding of how our community views the way that Councils deliver visitor servicing and engagement.