Wodonga Council
I'm an owner builder

Page URL: https://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/Building-Planning/Building/Im-an-owner-builder

I'm an owner builder

 /  Building + PlanningBuildingI'm an owner builder

OwnerBuilder image

Becoming an owner builder

An owner-builder is someone who carries out building work on his or her own land. Owner-builders take on many of the responsibilities of a registered builder including:

  • Obtaining permits;
  • Scheduling, supervising and/or carrying out building work themselves;
  • Ensuring the work meets all relevant building regulations, standards and other Laws; and
  • Arranging the appropriate building inspections and the final or occupancy certificate at completion of the works.

As an owner-builder, you are required to obtain a certificate of consent from the Victorian Building Authority where the value of works is more than $16,000 in order to obtain a building permit.

Obtaining a certificate of consent does not guarantee that you will be issued with a building permit.

A building permit will need to be obtained from a registered building surveyor.

An owner-builder report and associated insurance will be required if you sell your owner-built property within six and a half years of completion.

For more information on becoming an owner-builder, download an owner-builder Information Kit or contact the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127 or ownerbuilder@vba.vic.gov.au

November 20, 2019

We are encouraging community members to jump online and have their say on the 2019 proposed park names.

Consultation closes on Friday, December 20, 2019.

Submissions can be made online (using the online form below), by e-mail or phone.

Written submissions must be clearly marked as '' and will be received up until . They can also be sent by: