Wodonga Council
Apply for a planning permit

Page URL: https://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/Building-Planning/Planning/Apply-for-a-planning-permit

Apply for a planning permit

 /  Building + PlanningPlanningApply for a planning permit

A planning permit is permission to develop or use land for a particular purpose. It is an offense to carry out any use, or to develop land, if that use or development requires a planning permit under the Wodonga Planning Scheme and a planning permit has not been obtained from us.

Some common reasons a planning permit is required include:

  • Signage;
  • Starting a business; 
  • Constructing, altering or extending a building;
  • Subdivisions;
  • Clearing native vegetation;
  • Changing the use of a property; or
  • Applying for a liquor licence. 

A planning permit only applies to the land for which it has been granted and is usually subject to conditions. 

PLEASE NOTE: You may need to obtain other approvals in addition to planning permit approvals – such as a building approval. See the building section for more information.

Remember, a planning permit is not a building permit. It is also your responsibility to apply for permits and to comply with the conditions of a permit and the Wodonga Planning Scheme.

Home bluprint planning with tape measure_small

What you need to know

The information on the right and the video series below will assist in preparing and applying for a planning permit in Wodonga.

Before starting your application, we recommend you talk to our Planning Team by emailing planning@wodonga.vic.gov.au

Businesses can find more information and assistance here.

Getting started with a planning application

How do I get started?

When you have found out what zones and overlays apply to your land and need advice, you can arrange a pre-application meeting to discuss your proposal with a planning officer. It is not a planning officer's role to design the application or predict a decision, but they can give advice and guidance on the process.

You can make an appointment by phoning the community focus team on (02) 6022 9300 or you can book online.

You need to bring to this appointment the property address, a copy of title if you have one, information about what you are proposing to do. This may include sketches or draft plans.

Our planners can tell you if you need a planning permit, advise what you need to include in your application, and make sure that what you want to do is not prohibited.

You may choose to seek professional advice, or prepare a planning permit application yourself using our planning application checklists as a guide. To ensure that your application can be processed quickly and efficiently, it is essential that all the relevant information is included.

What do I need to include?

A planning permit application must include:

  • A completed 'Planning permit application form' (don’t forget to sign and date it);
  • Payment of the application fees - See 'Fees and charges' for more information;
  • A certificate of title less than 90 days old, including all details and full copies of any registered covenants or agreements. You can get this from the Titles Office by phoning (03) 8936 2456  or online at landata.vic.gov.au; and
  • A copy of the site and floor plans and all elevations at A3 size (all development and some use applications). All plans must be drawn to scale with dimensions and drawn to a professional standard. If not, you may be asked to provide new plans that meet the standard. Electronic copies of the application documentation can be included if available.

How can I lodge a planning permit?

At this stage, you will need to complete the relevant application form and email through to planning@wodonga.vic.gov.au

Apply online or find a range of application forms here.

Prior to your application

Advertising of applications

Preparing and submitting

Assessment and determination

Preliminary review

Application review