Buildings must be subject to the issue of a building permit prior to work commencing according to The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006. The Act prescribes a penalty of $10,000 for any persons who do work without a permit ($50,000 to any company).
The building permit is the key part of that process and ensures, among other things, that:
- Certain practitioners are registered and carry insurance;
- Adequate documentation is prepared to correctly construct the building;
- An independent review of that documentation occurs;
- Key stages of the work are independently inspected; and
- The building is independently assessed as completed and/or suitable for occupation.
PLEASE NOTE: All sheds over 10m2 including shipping containers, covered verandahs attached to another building and swimming pools and spas require a building permit.
Permits for driveways and other road reserves, and building over an easement are processed by our infrastructure team and not Wodonga Building Services.
An application for a building permit is required for most construction works. All new work should be submitted along with the required documentation as listed on the application form for a building permit (Victoria).
Other application and request forms listed are required for specific purposes. You may be required to apply for other approvals such as a planning permit in some instances. Before applying for a building permit, please ensure you need a permit and have gathered the information required to accompany your application.