Wodonga Council

Page URL: https://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/Building-Planning/Planning


 /  Building + PlanningPlanning

Planning house

Where to begin?

Whether you're constructing a fence, extending your home, subdividing your land, or starting a new business, you should check if you need planning or building approval - or both!

Planning and building approvals are subject to different and completely separate approval processes. A planning permit authorises a change in the use of land, or the development of land. Planning applications are assessed by the council's Statutory Planning Team.

Further information on the planning process including finding out if you need a planning permit can be obtained from the planning process page. For specific forms, you can access them via our planning application forms, requests, fact sheets and checklists page.

A building permit authorises the construction or demolition of a building or structure and relates to the method of construction. It can also cover setbacks and amenity concerns for properties abutting land (if not covered by a relevant planning permit), minimum standards of safety (such as fire safety) and protection of neighbouring properties during construction. Building Permits can be issued by the council's building surveyor or a private building Surveyor.

Further information on regarding building permits can be obtained here.

Other approvals may be required from the council associated with any building works or change of use, including:

Enquiry form