Elected councillors are responsible for setting policy and providing vision and strategic direction to the organisation. Councillors meet weekly at briefings and officially as the 'council' once a month at a council meeting. This is usually held on the third Monday of the month.
Some of their responsibilities include:
- Developing vision and strategies;
- Creating plans and policies, and setting priorities;
- Setting standards of service and quality;
- Focussing on outcomes;
- Consulting the community;
- Acting as an advocate for the whole community;
- Promoting economic and social development; and
- Working with all levels of government to maximise local and regional benefits.
- Many of their decisions are based on how to best use funds that are available to improve the city and its services.
Decisions are made on a majority vote of the councillors present at the meeting.