Wodonga Council encourages responsible pet ownership. All cats and dogs three months or older must be registered annually (on April 10).
Register your dog/cat online here
Renew your animal registration online here
The owners of a dog or cat who fail to register their animal may be liable for a $370 fine.
Please note: Where the owner of a dog/cat is under the age of 18 years, the parent or guardian of that owner will be deemed the legal owner of the dog/cat.
Benefits of registering my animal
If you lose your dog or cat, having them registered with the council greatly improves their chances of being returned to you. Your registration fee also provides a whole range of other important services too - such as:
- A service for owners to report lost and found pets;
- Council officers to respond to calls about wandering dogs and cats;
- Council officers to investigate complaints regarding noise nuisances;
- Council officers to inspect the properties where dangerous, menacing and restricted breed dogs are owned;
- Council monitoring of pet shops, boarding kennels and catteries for compliance with the minimum standards under the Codes of Practice;
- An education officer to provide information to schools, community groups and the general public on responsible pet ownership; and,
- An annual door knock to ensure all dogs and cats over three months are registered.
For more information on the benefits of registering your animal, visit the Agriculture Victoria website.
The registration process
To register a dog or cat, the owner must complete the new dog/cat registration form online. A name tag should also be purchased for $14 from the council. You can do that here. If it is not purchased from the council, you should get one from your vet, pet store or online supplier. If you are transferring ownership of an animal, please complete the dog/cat registration change of ownership form online.
Registration needs to be paid annually by April 10 each year. This date is not set by us. It is the owner’s responsibility to renew their animal registration each year under the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
Dog or cat tags
To apply online for dog or cat pet tags complete this online order form.