The council received National Stronger Regions Funding from the Federal Government to conduct works in the CBA, which will include the completion of works in High St, including landscaping.
This final stage of works on High St from Lawrence St to Banovic Lane includes the levelling out of the road, improved drainage and new street lights and landscaping similar to the northern end of High St.
There are three pedestrian crossings at Sesame Lane, the post office and Woodland Grove.
The final stage of the High St works begun on January 14, 2019 and will be completed in June, 2019.
This works period is the shorter construction option that was available of the two that were presented in the tender and the preferred option of those who replied to a council survey early in 2018.
The council received National Stronger Regions Funding from the Federal Government for the four-year works in the CBA.
Works already completed include Havelock St, The Promenade, High St north, South St and Richardson Park.
- Will remove dip in the road and improve drainage in the area
- Includes repaving, new street lights, landscaping
- Parking numbers to be similar to current
- Most trees to be removed but to be replaced with advanced species
- The intersection of High St and Stanley St to be improved
- Improvements to the water tower roundabout being considered
- Includes three pedestrian crossings at Sesame Lane, the post office (traffic lights will be removed) and Woodland Grove
There are more than 400 car spaces directly behind both sides of the High St works zone including all day, two-hour and disabled parking spaces. The car parks are all less than 200 metres from High St.
The community is encouraged to continue to support traders and we will be planning events and activities in the area to keep the community informed on the works progress.
The High St bus bay and taxi rank has been temporarily relocated while reconstruction works take place. Buses will run from Hovell St. A temporary bus bay for southbound routes has been installed outside Wodonga Library. Taxis will be available at the taxi rank in High St north outside Mann Central.