The council received National Stronger Regions Funding from the Federal Government to conduct works in the CBA, which will include the Havelock Street extension.
The works will take place between October 2016 and May 2017 (these times are not indicative of the length of construction, which will be defined once the plans are finalised and contracts awarded).
Main features of the Havelock St extension are:
- Extension of Havelock St past Quest Apartments through to Osburn St;
- Centre median parking;
- On-road cycle lane;
- Footpath on both sides of road;
- Single lane traffic both directions;
- Shared pedestrian-cycle track on former rail corridor to be constructed;
- Intersection with Osburn St likely to have traffic signals; and,
- Completes the inner ring road around the CBD, creating a more pedestrian-friendly shopping centre.