The Wodonga Place Names Advisory Committee presents park names to the council to endorse for naming consideration.
Each proposed name either reflects the local area or is named after a person who has had significant input or brought character and culture to the local community.
At the July council meeting, the committee submitted three parks to the council to be endorsed for community feedback.
Park name: Stella Nugent Park
Location: Corner of Esposito and Callus streets
Stella Nugent was born in Wodonga 1909 and was married to Archie for 55 years. She was a saleyard telephone exchange operator for 30 years and answered calls for stock and station agents on a telephone switchboard exchange system. She retired in 1980.
Park name: Archie Nugent Park
Location: Corner of Callus and Cuthbert streets
Archie Nugent was born in Cudgewa in 1911 and was married to Stella for 55 years. After managing dairy properties in the Upper Murray, Kergunyah and West Wodonga, Archie moved to Wodonga to commence working at the Old Wodonga Saleyards in the 1940s, becoming Saleyards Superintendent in 1964. Archie was instrumental in working with the then councillors on the facelift of the saleyards in 1969. He was retired in 1976 after more than 30 years of service.
Park name: Henry Hine Reserve
Location: 114 Lawrence St, Wodonga
Henry Roderick Hine commenced working for the Victorian Railways in 1926 as a railway line repairer. Henry and wife Doris raised their six children in Wodonga from 1945 in a railway house located on the site of the present RSL Club, a paddock away from the rail line to Cudgewa. Henry retired from the railways in 1966.
For more information on the naming rules, click here