To support public safety and protect buildings and assets, Wodonga Council has Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) on council-owned facilities and property.
This policy is an update of an existing policy and relates to fixed cameras on property and mobile cameras that are fixed to council infrastructure. It does not relate to handheld devices such as smart phones, dash cams or body cams.
CCTV systems are installed to:
- Provide a safe workplace for council’s employees and others;
- Capture breaches of legislation and aid criminal prosecutions for offences such as littering and dumping rubbish;
- To prevent fraud and theft;
- Protect staff and customers in public places within and adjacent to council buildings;
- Protect council assets from vandalism and graffiti;
- Provide evidence for the assessing of any claims council is party to; and,
- Enhance community safety and prevent crime
The installation of CCTV must be approved by the CEO.
Footage is not monitored but available for use for 30 days if there is an issue or concern arising.
Have your say today on this policy.