Wodonga Council
Information for community groups working on public land

Page URL: https://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/Building-Planning/Planning/Apply-for-a-planning-permit/Information-for-community-groups-working-on-public-land

Information for community groups working on public land

 /  Building + PlanningPlanningApply for a planning permitInformation for community groups working on public land

This information is intended as a guide only, please check for specific advice before conducting any works.

Planning permits

Requirements for planning permits will vary depending on the site and the works proposed. Management activities, tree planting and weed removal will generally not require permits. Placement of fill and construction of tracks, trails, culverts or built structures may require approvals. Work in and around waterways and areas of Aboriginal cultural sensitivity are likely to require approvals. It can take several months to gain planning approval, so check in with council's planning department when developing a project to avoid delays. Don't wait until works are due to commence.

Native vegetation

In Victoria, a permit is required to remove, destroy or lop native vegetation. Native vegetation is defined as: Plants that are indigenous to Victoria, including trees, shrubs, herbs and grasses This includes standing dead trees with a trunk diameter greater than 40cm. Pruning does not require a permit providing no more than 1/3 of the canopy is removed. Planted vegetation and exotic species are NOT protected by planning regulations in Wodonga. Plan around native vegetation, including ground layer and aquatic species, to avoid the need to obtain permits. On council managed land removal of any vegetation (with the exception of weeds) should generally be avoided.


Works in, on or over the bed and banks of waterways may require a permit from the North East Catchment Management Authority (CMA). Works that may require approval include removal of debris or vegetation (including weeds), stabilisation works and retaining structures. CMA staff will be able to advise you if proposed works need approvals (it's useful to have a plan to show them). Further information and application forms can be found on the CMA website.

Cultural heritage

Many of Wodongas waterways (and most Crown land) are identified as areas of Aboriginal cultural sensitivity. This means any works that involve mechanical ground disturbance (including construction of walking tracks and grading) may require cultural heritage approvals from the Aboriginal Victoria. Standard re-vegetation and maintenance activities will not require such approvals. Councils planning department will be able to tell you if an area is mapped for sensitivity and if your proposal will require approvals.

Land tenure

Always establish land owner status before planning or conducting works, this is especially important around waterways and reserves, where there can be multiple land owners/managers (i.e. council, the Crown, Parklands Albury Wodonga, developers and private residents). Always obtain the written consent of the landowner/manager for any works you wish to undertake. This is generally a requirement for permit and grant applications, but is also just good practice.


Before undertaking any activity or applying for funding for works on public land please check the following.

  • You have the written consent of the landowner or land manager.
  • Check with the council regarding planning permit requirements and cultural heritage sensitivity.
  • If you are working on or near a waterway, check with NECMA regarding their approvals process.
  • Only apply for funding when you have all the required approvals.

For further information about works on public land, please contact Wodonga Council's planning department on (02) 6022 9300.