Recycling centre (Waste Transfer Station)
The Wodonga Waste Transfer Station is a recycling/re-use centre locatedÂ at 29Â Kane Rd, Wodonga (view map).
The facility is designed to maximise re-use and recycling. Sorting your load will reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
If you are a frequent visitor to the waste transfer station with more than 10 visits per month, you can apply for a credit account.
Address: 29 Kane Rd, Wodonga
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm; Saturday, Sunday and public holidays from 10am to 4pm; and closed onÂ Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day.
Phone: (02) 6022 9358
What we can accept?
You can recycle a wide range of materials at the Waste Transfer Station.
The below items can be dropped off for free:
- Cardboard and paper: Cardboard boxes (please flatten) and all types of paper including newspapers, magazines, envelopes, brochures, catalogues, phone books.
- Plastics (codes 1 to 7): Clean milk bottles, soft drink bottles, cordial bottles, detergent bottles, juice bottles, ice cream, margarine, yogurt containers and lids. Please donâ€™t include plastic bags or polystyrene.
- Glass: Clean bottles and jars (green, brown and white). Please donâ€™t include broken drinking glasses, window glass or crockery.
- Aluminium and steel: Cans, clean foil trays and clean steel cans are accepted.
- Batteries: Car and truck batteries.
- Scrap metal: Car bodies, iron, steel, wire, some whitegoods. No gas cylinders.
- Waste oil: Clean used or unwanted motor oil can be disposed of into the collection tanks (less than 20 litres). This includes cooking oil.
- drumMUSTER: Clean and empty chemical drums (both plastic and steel) are accepted. Must be triple rinsed.
- Paint: Paint tins are accepted whether they are full or empty.
- Televisions and computer associated products: Includes all televisions, computer monitors, keyboards/mouse, computer speakers and laptops. Other electrical waste attracts a fee as stated below.
The below items can be dropped off at the Waste Transfer Station for a fee:
- Concrete and bricks: Clean concrete and bricks can be disposed of. It is illegal toÂ drop off any product that may contain asbestos (if unsure, please ask at the boom gate).
- Greenwaste: This includes your lawn clippings, branches and garden prunings. Please donâ€™t contaminate your green waste.
- Timber: Raw timber, frames and doors. Excludes treated timber products.
- Soil: A processing fee applies.
- Electrical waste: Video and DVD players, stereos, game consoles,Â photocopiers, vacuum cleaners, telephones, mobile phones,Â fax machines, microwaves, hair dryers, toasters, kettles and drills.
- LPG gas cylinders (car): A processing fee applies.
- Gas cylinders/barbecue gas bottles: A processing fee applies.
- Waste: By the time you have disposed of all your recyclable materials, you should have very little waste to drop-off at the general waste collection point.
- Silage wrap: Clean silage wrap, vine wrap and bunker cover.
- Mattresses: Single, double and larger.
- Whitegoods: This includes fridges, freezers, air conditioners andÂ refrigerant motor goods.
- Tyres: A processing fee applies.
What we cannot accept?
The Waste Transfer Station does not accept asbestos or toxic chemicals (sulphuric acid, etc) or household chemical products however we do hold an annual Detox Your Home chemical collection day, in partnership with Sustainability Victoria, that enables you to dispose of potentially dangerous household chemicals and a number of targeted products safely and easily without harming human health or the environment. You will need to register for this event and the household chemicals that you wish to dispose of.
If you are unsure, please ring the transfer station prior to arrival.
The Waste Transfer Station currently records the city's rainfall for the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM).
In recognition of regular differences in rainfall between Albury and Wodonga, the BOM sought an official rain gauge for the Victorian side of the border.
The official rain gauge was installed in February, 2011.
Waste Transfer Station fees 2016-2017 (PDF 229KB)
Waste Transfer Station credit application form (PDF 71KB)
Tips for disposing of items (PDF 470KB)
Last updated: 21-07-2016