Parks and gardens
Picturesque parks and gardens are dotted throughout Wodonga.
Many are named in honour of people who have made a significatn local contribution to Wodonga. For the full listing of registered Geographic Names visit the VICNAMES website.
Many pathways link the greenbelts with each other and also offer sporting opportunities such as soccer, skating, cricket and much more.
Some of the major parks in the city with barbecue and public toilet facilities:
- Willow Park (view map) - Parking is
located off Pearce St, Wodonga in
Kennedy Crt, near the barbecue and toilet facilities. This park offers a skate bowl for young children and teens. Competitive sport is regularly played here including cricket and soccer. It is the starting and finishing point for the Fed Hill Challenge, and is used for many school fun runs. House Creek runs through the park. There is fitness equipment located along the path and a playground. The annual Paws In The Park event is also held here;
- Les Stone Park (view map) - Parking is located off Lawrence St, Wodonga on Parkland Drive. This park offers a barbecue and toilet facilities. It also has a playground featuring a ship and access to House Creek. Further up the park near Brockley St, there is a wetland with a jetty for fishing. Australia Day celebrations are held here each year as well as regular Story Time with library staff; and
- Belvoir Park (Sumsion Gardens) (view map) - Parking is located on Huon St, Wodonga. This park is very picturesque and offers a large lake with ducks, swans and geese. The Belvoir Park Playground welcomes people from across north east Victoria and southern New South Wales. You can also access Belvoir Park off High St (freeway end) by turning into Reuss Rd. Belvoir Park can be booked to host an event by phoning the community focus team on (02) 6022 9300. You must have public liability to book the space and this must be sited by us. If you do not have public liability, this can be purchased from us for a fee of $31. An accepted booking does not grant you exclusive use of the space as it is a public park including weddings.
Other significant parks:
- Peace Square (view map) - Located in White Box Rise Estate on the cnr of Kelliher Ave and Victoria Cross Parade. This park has a lovely setting and is surrounded by history and progression at the same time. Located in one of Wodonga's newest estates, the land was once owned by the Army. The parkland is watered by the stormwater catchment at the adjacent racecourse, making the estate very sustainable. The sculptures in the park thank past soldiers for their efforts and dedication to Australia; and
- Woodland Grove (view map) - Located in the CBD, this park is a place where many locals like to eat their lunch. Located at the base of the water tower, there are also amazing steel sculptures that make it recognisable as Woodland Grove. There are adjacent public toilets in Hovell St and a cafe that faces the park. Many events are held here throughout the year as it is the perfect location situated between High St and the entertainment centre, The Cube Wodonga. Woodland Grove can be booked to host an event by phoning the community focus team on (02) 6022 9300. You must have public liability to book the space and this must be sited by us. If you do not have public liability, this can be purchased from us for a fee of $31. An accepted booking does not grant you exclusive use of the space as it is a public park.
Our parks and gardens team maintain these areas of the city, and our assets team manage the toilets and barbecue facilities.
Many of the city’s public toilets are locked overnight due to security reasons. The toilets are locked between 7.30pm and 8.30pm and are re-opened between 5.30am and 6.30am.
- Hovell St;
- Willow Park;
- Melrose Oval (not open weekends);
- Kelly Park;
- Belvoir Park;
- Birallee Park (only open for cricket; locked at all other times);
- Kookaburra Point; and
- Jacksons Point.
Other parks with barbecues include Oakmont Cct, Gateway Village, Les Stone Park, all Lake Hume reserves and Baranduda Community Centre’s oval.
The Early Years Amenities and Facilities Map provides an overview of all parks and playgrounds in Wodonga.
Parks and reserves booking form
Wodonga Council has a range of community parks and gardens available for hire.
The parks and reserves booking form should only be used by organisations or individuals seeking to conduct an event or commercial/business activity in a council park or reserve or within an open space.
The booking and event permit process aims to ensure events and activities comply with relevant legislation and local laws, that activities are appropriate for the space and do not conflict with other activities, including the enjoyment of residents and visitors, and to ensure the appropriate scheduling of park maintenance.
Street tree species - Residential streets (PDF 2931KB)
Last updated: 16-01-2017