We love getting outdoors while the weather is warm. The problem is – so do the mosquitoes. They’re not just annoying; some mozzies can transmit serious diseases. Fortunately, only a few species of mosquitoes found in Australia bite humans and fewer still are carriers of disease.
There are simple things you can do to Beat the bite!
Protect yourself and your family from mosquito-borne disease:
- Wear loose-fitting clothing when outdoors.
- Use mosquito repellents containing DEET or picaridin on exposed skin.
- Try to limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitoes are about (usually dusk and dawn).
- Make sure there is no stagnant water where mosquitoes can breed around your home.
- On holidays make sure your accommodation is properly fitted with mosquito netting or screens.
- Don’t forget the kids – it’s safer to spray or rub insect repellents on their clothes rather than directly onto their skin.
For further information on how to Beat The Bite, visit www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au or contact our Environmental Health team on (02) 6022 9300.