City of Wodonga


Becoming an owner builder


An owner builder is someone who carries out building work on his or her own land. Owner builders take on many of the responsibilities of a registered builder including:

  • Obtaining permits;
  • Scheduling, supervising and/or carrying out building work themselves;
  • Ensuring the work meets all relevant building regulations, standards and other laws; and
  • Arranging the appropriate building inspections and the final or occupancy certificate at completion of the works.

As an owner builder, you are required to obtain a certificate of consent from the Victorian Building Authority where the value of works is more than $16,000 in order to obtain a building permit.

Obtaining a certificate of consent does not guarantee that you will be issued with a building permit. A building permit will need to be obtained from a registered building surveyor.

Please note: An owner builder report and associated insurance will be required if you sell your owner built property within six and a half years of completion.

For more information on becoming an owner builder, please phone the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127 or visit

Last updated: 14-05-2018

Share this page