Wodonga Council
Pests, insects and snakes

Page URL: https://www.wodonga.vic.gov.au/Services/Safety-Health-and-Wellbeing/Community-safety/Environmental-nuisances/Pests-insects-and-snakes

Black and white magpie small

Out staff is often called upon to resolve requests regarding pests and insects. Please phone (02) 6022 9300 to speak to a community focus officer to report pests and insects on council land ONLY.

PLEASE NOTE: It is the owner/occupiers responsibility to remove or eradicate any pests or insects on private property. Private pest controllers may be sought to assist in the removal of these species.

Local controllers are listed in the Yellow Pages.


These include:

  • European wasps;
  • Bees; and,
  • Ants/termites. 

Our environmental health team can arrange for these to be removed from council land ONLY.


Snakes are protected and removal is NOT a council role. Our staff do not remove snakes.

Local contractors are available (these are not council contractors). No preference is given to the order of the following contractors and we aim to keep this as up-to-date as possible.

  • Tristan Hamilton - 0431 530 057; and
  • Noel Crossman from Pest Control - 0412 576 541.

For further information regarding protection of snakes and removal, please contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 136 186.

Swooping birds

Magpies and plovers are the most common swooping birds in Wodonga and are both protected species. We do not capture or remove swooping birds, however, we will publicise locations of known swooping birds on council land through our website and social media.

For further information, please contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 136 186.

PLEASE NOTE: To intentionally harm, shoot, trap or kill wildlife is illegal and a prosecutable offence under the Wildlife Act.


Mosquitoes can carry many diseases. The best way to avoid these diseases is to avoid being bitten.

Visit the Better Health website to learn how to Beat The Bite.


For rodents on private land, you will need to contact a pest control company.

If rats or mice are present on council property, please phone the community focus team on (02) 6022 9300 to advise the location.

For further information regarding rodents, visit the Department of Health's website.