What is a playgroup?
- Groups of parents, carers and their young children who meet regularly;
- Lots of fun for children from birth to school-age as they learn through play and interaction with other children and adults;
- For parents and carers to share ideas and information in a supportive environment;
- Held in community centres, church halls, kindergartens, scout halls, maternal and child health centres or wherever it is convenient for their members;
- Low cost and not-for-profit; and
- for all local families who wish to join.
Why are playgroups so important?
Playgroups are an ideal place for children to learn and develop through play. They:
- Give routine to a child's week providing regular time away from home;
- Help children develop social skills in a group situation with a parent or carer by their side for support;
- Are for families with a baby, toddler and preschooler to attend together;
- Provide a large range of toys often not available at home; and
- Give parents and carers the opportunity to spend valuable time with their child.
Top of page
There are many ongoing playgroups in Wodonga and surrounds.
Community playgroups are open to anyone to attend, run from various community centres around the city, and are a wonderful way for adults and children to meet new people, socialise, and share new information and ideas.
Community playgroups are run by the parents/carers and usually run with the Victoria school terms.
Some groups have small fees to cover the costs running the playgroups, please call the contact listed to discuss this.
Listings and information for community playgroups can be found in the Albury Wodonga Community Guide, on the Playgroup Victoria website, or via the downloads below.
Wodonga Council runs five Supported Playgroups for families who meet certain eligibility criteria as set by the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
Supported playgroups are run by a trained facilitator four days a week during Victorian school terms, and are free for families with children aged from birth to four years.
If you would like to enquire about attending a Supported Playgroup, please phone the co-ordinator on (02) 6022 9300 or 0411 989 205.
Top of page
Need to know more?
Visit the Playgroup Victoria website.
Top of page
Community playgroups in Wodonga (PDF 1556KB)
Last updated: 14-03-2017