City of Wodonga


Objecting to a planning application

If you are affected by or have concerns about a planning permit application you can contact us to discuss the matter. You can also submit a formal objection, which may include suggestions for changes that would resolve your concerns.

Anyone can lodge an objection to a planning permit application. We must consider all objections when assessing the application.

We may reject a submission which we consider has been made primarily to secure or maintain a direct or indirect commercial advantage for the objector.

The Planning and Environment Act 1987 requires us to make available for inspection, any submission made to an application including the name and address of the submitter. The Privacy Act does not override this legislation.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not place greater weight on petitions over individual submissions. For a petition to be considered an objection, it must follow the rule of why the petitioner is objecting to the application and how the petitioner would be affected if a permit is granted.

Email your objections to

How to object

Fill out an 'Objection to a planning permit application'. An objection must be in writing and clearly state how the application will affect you. Your objection should be based on valid planning issues.

Your objection is not confidential and your name and address details will be available to the public and the applicant.


Top of page Top of page

What happens next?

You will be sent a letter confirming your objection has been received. You may be invited to a consultation meeting to discuss your concerns with the applicant and our planning officers.

You will receive a copy of¬†our decision. If a permit is granted, we¬†will issue a ‚ÄėNotice of decision to grant a permit‚Äô and if a permit is refused, we will issue a ‚ÄėNotice of decision to refuse a planning permit‚Äô.¬†If a ‚ÄėNotice of decision to grant a permit‚Äô is issued, objectors have 28 days to apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the decision.

Top of page Top of page

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Our decision about a planning permit application does not necessarily have to be final. If you are not satisfied with our decision, you can review the decision with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

An application for review may:

  • Object to the grant of a permit;
  • Object to the refusal of a permit;¬†or¬†
  • Object to the conditions or lack of conditions placed on a permit.

Top of page Top of page


Last updated: 04-04-2019

Share this page