City of Wodonga


Becoming an owner-builder

Man putting insulation in house.

An owner-builder is someone who carries out building work on his or her own land.

Owner-builders take on many of the responsibilities of a registered builder including:

  • Obtaining permits;
  • Scheduling, supervising and/or carrying out building work themselves;
  • Ensuring the work meets all relevant building regulations, standards and other
  • Laws; and
  • Arranging the appropriate building inspections and the final or occupancy certificate at completion of the works.

As an owner-builder, you are required to obtain a certificate of consent from the Victorian Building Authority where the value of works is more than $16,000 in order to obtain a building permit.

Obtaining a certificate of consent does not guarantee that you will be issued with a building permit.

A building permit will need to be obtained from a registered building surveyor.

An owner-builder report and associated insurance will be required if you sell your owner-built property within six and a half years of completion.

For more information on becoming an owner-builder, download an owner-builder Information Kit or contact the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127 or

An owner-builder full information kit and checklist is available to download on the VBA website.

Last updated: 21-04-2017

Share this page