We encourage performersÂ of all backgrounds and abilities to express their craft for the public to enjoy.
The objectives of these busking guidelines are to:
- Support and encourage performers in the city;
- Support our Economic Development Strategy, in activating public areas;
- Provide a clearly understood, fair and transparent framework for managing public performers/buskers; and,
- Provide a level of certainty to traders, businesses and all users of the public realm.
What is busking?
Busking is the practice of providing entertainment by performing in public places, in exchange for potential donations.
Types of busking may include:
- Performing with an instrument or instruments;
- Performance of a dance routine and/or a song;
- Juggling, clowning, magic or living statue; and,
- Actively working in an artistic medium.
Â The activities below are NOT considered busking:
- Vendors of any kind â€“ including flowers, jewellery, food and other merchandise;
- Touting or spruiking;
- Political rallying;
- Religious spruiking;
- Face or body painting;
- Begging (begging is illegal and enforcement is the responsibility of Victoria Police); and,
- Busking permits will not be issued to companies, clubs, individual or businesses wishing to promote theirÂ services or products.
For the permit application and full terms and conditionsÂ click here.
Last updated: 18-04-2017