Settlement Assistance Program
Our Settlement Assistance Program provides settlement support to recently arrived humanitarian entrants and migrants living in Wodonga.
The program is¬†supported by financial assistance from the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
The aim of the program is to assist new arrivals as they adjust to life in Australia.
Services available include:
- Find housing;
- Access health services;
- Understand the health system;
- Access education (enrol children in school, etc);
- Deal with family issues and problems;
- By providing referrals to migration agents;
- Fill in forms;
- Access income support through Centrelink and other agencies;
- With banking and financial institutions;
- Get recognition of your overseas qualifications;
- Access legal advice and assistance;
- By providing emotional support, respect and understanding;
- With referrals to other services;
- Link with social groups and community activities;
- Access interpreting services; and
- With general settlement information.
Our service is available to:
- Refugees and humanitarian entrants;
- Recently arrived migrants;
- Dependent family members of skilled migrants; and¬†
- New and emerging communities.
- Use professional interpreters when required;
- Refer individuals to appropriate agencies and service providers;
- Provide practical assistance and support;
- Advocate on behalf of individuals and communities;
- Assist in the development of community groups;
- Promote cultural competence in the service sector; and¬†
- Maintain client confidentiality.
How to refer to our service:
We accept referrals directly from eligible people as well as from other agencies or services.
Individuals must¬†give their consent to be referred to our service.
To ensure seamless handover between services, caseworkers are required to attend the initial interview with their clients.
Referrals may be made by contacting our office or by¬†completing the¬†referral/consent form.
Phone: (02) 6022 9300
Settlement Assistance Program referral/consent form (DOCX 256KB)
Settlement Strategic Plan 2008 to 2013 (PDF 3281KB)
Last updated: 03-12-2012